Sunday, August 12, 2012

Black Swallowtail Butterfly Metamorphosis


I would like to step back to share a Black Swallowtail Butterfly Papilio polyxenes, who was my studio mate for part of this May. It was a marvelous metamorphosis to observe. 


A striking male Black Swallowtail . . . the first of its kind to emerge in my barn studio last year.


I was lucky early May to see this female attaching an egg to a Bishop's weed leaf along the garden path. She may well have overwintered here in her pupa state.


After she flies away I discover this egg!



Enjoying her first meal.



Second or third instar.



Final caterpillar molt.








Releasing a perfect female . . . perhaps she will meet up with the male (below) out in the gardens enjoying the milkweed. This is only the second Black Swallowtail I have had the privilege to raise.




If you would like to learn more about the life cycle of the Black Swallowtail check out my article over at 


No comments:

Post a Comment